Performance Analysis Of India In Asia Cup 2022
Asia Cup 2022 was a fantastic and thrilling event every match was one-sided and each match gave us thrills and excitement. Almost every game was a nail-biter. The Sri Lankan team, who were the least likely to compete in this competition, won the Asia Cup 2022 title. They proved that they were not the underdog they are the champions.
India In Asia Cup 2022
The Indian team came up as the first contender who can win this tournament. The team came up with a full-strength squad though the two main frontline bowlers were missing in the squad Japsrit Bhumra and Harshal Patel due to injury.
India start off the season with two victories and qualified for the super 4, however in keeping with its history of past events, India lost its two crucial elimination matches, which prevented it from advancing to the championship.
India's top 4 batters and bowler in the tournament
Virat Kohli’s form was India’s most positive result factor from this tournament. With a strike rate of almost 143, he was the second-highest run producer in the competition. But none of the other 3 batsmen from top 4 managed to consistently score runs.
Bhuvi was the top wicket-taker of the tournament with one 5 wickets and 4 wickets spell. India’s leading wicket-taker of T20I format Yuzi Chahal was unable to deliver in this tournament.
India In Powerplay
In bowling, India had taken more than one wicket in the majority of games. An interesting fact is that India lost both games where they got fewer than two wickets in the powerplay.
While batting, India usually scored more than 40 runs during the powerplay, which is a quite descent score.
India In Last Five Overs
In the majority of the matches, India scored less than 60 runs in the last 5 overs, which is not a good score considering today’s T20 standard.
India's Performance in Last 5 Overs With Bat and Ball
India leaked both runs and wickets in the last 5 overs, especially in important games. The 19th over is expected to be one of the main factors that causes India to lose the tournament since, when all matches were combined, India had surrendered 84 runs in that over.
Key points of Team India in this tournament
- Virat Kohli, India’s run machine, returned to form and achieved his 71st century after 1029 days, which is a very good omen for the country as it prepares for the forthcoming event.
- India’s bowling was one of the key reasons for their defeat in this event. They failed to defend the target and leaked runs in crucial the final five overs.
- After Jadeja was ruled out after the first 2 matches due to injury, playing 11 was always an issue. He used to provide balance to the team as he could bat at any position, was the team’s lone left-handed batsman when pant was not playing, and could bowl well.
- Even though the squad had a sixth bowling option, it was never used after Jadeja’s departure. India bowled the 20 overs with 5 bowlers, which was one of the main reasons India failed to defend a good target in two consecutive matches.
- Luck was another thing that worked against India. India lost a crucial player early in the tournament owing to injury, and India won only one toss throughout the tournament.
- Individual performance was present. Some games lacked teamwork, particularly the knockout game.
The Asia Cup 2022 provided the Indian team a valuable practice of playing against multi-national teams. Though India did not play well in the Asia Cup, this may be a blessing in disguise for India before the World Cup. We can call it a beneficial setback for India. Team India now knows where they fall short and can work to fill those gaps. Prior to the World Cup, India will play a three-match Twenty20 International series against defending champion Australia and undefeated South Africa, which will be excellent preparation for the Indian team. The Indian squad is anxious to win the T20I World Cup 2022, having played the most T20 matches in the last two years, and the skipper is confident that even if the Asia Cup is a severe setback, his team has the potential to win the world cup.